Subject-verb agreement is an essential aspect of English grammar, and it is crucial to master it to make your writing grammatically correct and effective. In Class 9, you will come across several MCQ questions that will test your understanding of subject-verb agreement. In this article, we will discuss the importance of subject-verb agreement and provide you with some essential tips to solve Class 9th MCQ questions related to subject-verb agreement.
Importance of Subject-Verb Agreement
Subject-verb agreement refers to the grammatical rule in which the verb should agree with the subject in number and person. It means that if the subject is singular, the verb should be in the singular form, and if the subject is plural, the verb should be in the plural form. Subject-verb agreement is essential because it makes your writing clear and understandable. When there is no agreement between the subject and verb, it makes the sentence confusing and difficult to comprehend.
Tips to Solve Class 9th MCQ Questions on Subject-Verb Agreement
1. Identify the subject and the verb in the sentence. The subject is the noun or pronoun that performs the action, and the verb is the action or state of being.
2. Determine the number of the subject whether it is singular or plural. Singular subjects take singular verbs, and plural subjects take plural verbs.
3. Look for the closest noun to the verb. The verb should agree with the closest noun to it.
4. Be careful with indefinite pronouns. Indefinite pronouns such as everyone, somebody, anybody, nobody, etc., are always singular. Use a singular verb with them.
5. Use singular verbs with non-count nouns. Non-count nouns such as water, rice, money, etc., are always singular. Use singular verbs with them.
Examples of Class 9th MCQ Questions on Subject-Verb Agreement
1. ___________ reading novels because it is interesting.
Answer: B. Is
Explanation: The subject of the sentence is `reading,` which is singular. Therefore, the verb should also be singular, which is `is.`
2. The children ___________ the playground.
Answer: A. Enjoy
Explanation: The subject of the sentence is `children,` which is plural. Therefore, the verb should also be plural, which is `enjoy.`
3. ___________ is essential for a healthy life.
Answer: A. Exercise
Explanation: The subject of the sentence is `exercise,` which is non-count. Therefore, the verb should be singular, which is `exercise.`
In conclusion, subject-verb agreement is a crucial aspect of English grammar, and it is essential to master it to make your writing clear and effective. The above tips and examples will help you to solve Class 9th MCQ questions related to subject-verb agreement. Always remember to identify the subject and the verb, determine their number, and be careful with indefinite pronouns and non-count nouns. With practice, you will be able to solve subject-verb agreement questions with ease.